I found this fix on ServerFault but I’m reposting it here:
This problem may occur due to low memory on the remote server. For me, doing the following fixed the problem:
- Go to the Experience tab, and disable the following:
- Desktop Composition
- Visual Styles
- Persistent bitmap caching
- Go to the Display tab:
- Set a smaller resolution
- Lower the color depth (for example 15 bit)
- Also, if you don’t need the remote audio, go to Local Resources tab:
- Click the Remote audio -> Settings…, check Do not play and Do not record
No need to change the RDP Compression from the Group Policy on the remote machine, only disabling these should do the trick.
Tested to work on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 as the remote, and Windows 10 Pro as the client.